Nutrition and Dietetics
|Contact Information||Tel: 01 235 5311|
|How to find us||NRH Main Hospital|
Description of Service
All inpatients attending the NRH can access dietetic services by referral through their healthcare team or at their own request. The dietitian is also responsible for staff education on nutritional matters.
Dietetic intervention focuses on ensuring that patients are well nourished in the initial rehabilitation phase. The aim of nutrition in rehabilitation is to optimise the nutritional status of patients to ensure that they can derive the maximum benefit from their rehabilitation programme.
As recovery progresses, the focus shifts to address issues with long term health.
Healthy eating is important for your overall health and wellbeing – your body, mind and lifestyle. All inpatients attending the NRH can access dietetic services by referral through the rehabilitation team or at your own request.
The Dietitian on your Rehabilitation Team will work with you to manage your nutrition, depending on your clinical needs. The aim is to ensure that you are well nourished, which will help you to get the most from your rehabilitation programme. As your recovery progresses, the focus will move to issues with nutrition and your longer-term health.
The Dietitian will:
- Assess your nutrition – this includes assessing how the food and drinks you take are providing you with the nourishment you need to get the most from your rehabilitation programme.
- Help you manage your dietary needs.
- Promote healthy eating habits and provide education on how to stay healthy.
- Provide an individual assessment and diet plan to suit your needs.
Useful Links to Information on Diet and Health
The Irish Nutrition and Dietetic Institute (INDI) have a range of Fact Sheets on:
- Weight Management – click on this link: INDI Weight Management
- Heart Health – click on this link: INDI Heart Health
- Diet and Diabetes – click on this link: INDI Diabetes
- Healthy Eating – click on this link: INDI Healthy Eating
- Improving your appetite – click on this link: INDI Improving Appetite
- Advice for people with poor appetite / weight loss – click on this link: INDI Advice for People with Poor Appetite and Weight Loss
Safe Food provides information on a variety of topics including healthy eating, recipes, food and diet – click on this link: Safe Food
The Irish Heart Foundation provides information on how the food choices you make can help protect you against Heart Disease and Stroke – click on this link: Irish Heart Foundation Health Eating
Diabetes Ireland provides information and support on a range of topics to those affected by Diabetes – click on this link: Diabetes Ireland